Friday, November 3, 2017

Week 11 Storytelling: The Origin of the Earthquake

Long ago, before even the mountains were formed, there were willows and oaks that towered over the lands. Back then, these trees bore fruits of all kinds. No one knew this more than the Bear. The Bear was a selfish, gluttonous creature, eating anything that it could get its paws on and was not afraid to steal from others. He was so malcontent with the food that he had access to that he one day decided to climb all the nearby willows and oaks to eat their fruit. Tree after tree, the Bear propelled its growing body up every tree in the land, eating all of the fruits that it could reach. It was to the point now that almost every tree in the land was now fruitless. All for but one. There was a great, tall oak that towered above the rest. It was so tall that there are tales of other animals being able to see the monstrous tree from lands away.

The tree was considered sacred to all who lived in this land, but the Bear did not care. His hunger made him disregard this fact. Despite the outcry from other animals of the land, the bear dragged his now gargantuan body up the tree, eating what he came across. The tree was so tall and filled with fruit that it took the bear days to even begin seeing the top of the tree. Near the top, the Bear could see that he had eaten all but one piece of fruit on the tree: a lone apple perched at the very top. Determined to eat his fill, the Bear ignored the fact that it was exhausted and too fat to carry on. However, at the very moment the Bear tried to pluck the apple from its spot, it lost its grip and fell to the earth.

Upon landing on the ground, he Bear's massive body created an earthquake so large that any subsequent earthquakes that are felt today are merely aftershocks to the original. This is also the reason why Oak trees and Willow trees no longer bear fruit. As penance, all bears starve themselves during the winter to make up for the Bear's original greed and gluttony.

Author's Note: Piggy-backing off the theme that a lot of the Native American stories have, I wanted to create a story that gave us the origin to something or things. In this case, my story tells us how earthquakes came to be, why Oak and Willow trees do not have fruit, and why bears do not eat in the winter. Obviously, all of these can be explained scientifically: Earthquakes are due to tectonic shifts, not oversize bears falling from the sky. Oaks and Willows genetically cannot carry fruits that we are accustomed to, and bears don't eat during the winters for hibernation. I just thought that this would be a fun way to tell something we already know!

Image result
(The greedy bear:

Bibliography: Bibliography: Myths and Legends of California and the Old Southwest. Katherine Berry Judson. Link.

9 comments:

  1. Kevin,
    I like that this story has lots of origin qualities. Not only does it explain the origin of earthquakes, but it also discusses the reason why certain trees don’t bear (haha) fruit, as well as why bears starve themselves during the winter.
    Also, I couldn’t help but notice the strong similarities between this narrative and the biblical story of Adam and Eve. Both stories possess a special tree, both stories possess someone eating fruit, and both stories possess immense consequences for the actions of the participants. While this story tells of a bear that tries to eat fruit and then causes earthquakes, the story of Adam and Eve involves two people that eat fruit and cause sin to enter the world. I wonder if these were intended to be similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    When I was reading your story I was curious what the original tale was about, I was pleasantly surprised that you made the story up yourself. From the readings that I had done, I had come across many different tales that Native Americans used to explain where certain natural occurrences in nature happened. You were able to create your own tale that could have fit into any of the readings. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, overall your story flows very well! It is nice to see that you use substantial paragraphs in your writing, because I have seen many blogs and projects that write very little per paragraph and I find it distracting. I would suggest fixing the indentation, though. I usually have to go back into Blogger to fix my indentation after my original publication. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,

    I don't normally like origin stories, simply because they're boring and a lot of them are part of the culture they are from, so it's hard to understand them, but yours really flowed nicely and it worked well! I would suggest breaking up your paragraphs so that your readers don't get distracted whilst reading such big sections of words, but other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kevin!
    I've personally been avoiding trying to write an origin story because I think it is really hard to do well. But I think your story is pretty awesome! I like that you made earthquakes aftershocks of the original earthquake (otherwise it wouldn't have made much sense) and I also appreciate that you included the bit about bears hibernating. That's something I wasn't expecting that shows the level of planning you had for the story. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,
    I really like what you did here. Coming up with a story like this takes thought and creativity! Great job! I love animal elements in stories so I was excited to read about the bears hibernating. Your planning was shown here! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kevin,
    I loved this and how it had several different meanings behind it. I think you could really take this story places when it comes to details and descriptions. Overall it was such a cute story with so many different aspects of the theme. I cannot wait to read more the rest of this semester. You did a great job! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kevin!
    I really enjoyed reading your story, “The origin of the Earthquake.” Also, I really like you began your story it gives your story a nice hint of mystery. Further, I thought the image that you used for this story was so perfect! I absolutely love bears and your picture is so cute! Overall, I think you did a great job on this story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kevin,

    Nice picture of that big bear. What an alpha. Reminds me of when Jim says to Dwight "Bears, beats, battle star galatica. Back to the story, I thought you did a good job of taking the original and making it into something of your own. I also enjoyed the setting your established here. Great work and keep it up.

    Brooks

    ReplyDelete